Gluten Free Focaccia with Basil Pistachio Pesto and Sun Dried Tomatoes
This – so Italian – recipe is just perfect to feel like you are attending a nice reception near the Mediterranean sea. The recipe is a courtesy of Sharon Elston aka “The Spice Lady”.
- 2 cups warm tepid water
- 4 tablespoon organic cane sugar
- 2 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 3 cups Cuisine Soleil All-Purpose Flour Mix
- 2 teaspoons xanthan gum (this is in addition to the xanthan gum in the mix)
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 C grape seed, canola, or olive oil
- olive oil for greasing the pan
- 4 or more large sun dried tomatoes in oil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, mix 1 tablespoon of organic cane sugar into the tepid water. Add yeast and mix to dissolve. Let sit for about 5 minutes until it proofs and gets frothy.
- Mix together dry ingredients.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer with paddle, beat together eggs, vinegar and oil.
- Add yeast mixture, beat to mix.
- Add flour mixture, beat on low to combine, then beat on high for about 3 minutes.
- Spoon dough into a well greased 9 x 13 baking tin.
- Let double in size. About 40 minutes.
- Cover with half the pesto. Reserve the rest for later enjoyment.
- Cut the sundried tomatoes into strips and place on top of the pesto.
- Bake for about 25 minutes until brown and golden on top.
- Cut into squares.
Basil Pistachio Pesto
- 2 cups fresh basil
- 1/3 cup pistachios
- 1 cup grated parmesan
- 1 garlic clove
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Pinch of pepper
- ½ cup olive oil
- In a food processor, drop garlic from the top while running. Stop when chopped.
- Then add all the rest of the ingredients, with the exception of the olive oil.
- Add the olive oil in a steady stream until the ingredients are emulsified.