Gluten free « Tres Leches » cake with strawberries
In Latin America, this cake soaked in a mix of three “milks” is a real institution. Made to be eaten chilled, the kids enjoy it in the summertime.
A recipe by our partner, l’Académie Culinaire.
Difficulty level: Easy
Yields one 20cm (8’’) cake
Preparation: 15 minutes
Cooking: 30 to 40 minutes
- 200 g (1 1/4 cup) Cuisine Soleil All Purpose Flour Mix
- 10 ml (2 tsp.) baking powder
- 210 g (1 cup) sugar
- 80 g (1/3 cup) unsalted butter, softened
- 4 eggs
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) milk
- 10 ml (2 tsp.) vanilla extract
- 250 ml (1 cup) evaporated sweetened milk (Eagle Brand for example)
- 375 ml (1 1/2 cups) condensed unsweetened milk
- 500 ml (2 cup) Cream 35%
- 30 ml (2 c. à table) icing sugar
- 250 ml (1 cup) fresh strawberries
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Grease and coat with flour a 20cm (8 inches) cake pan.
- In a bowl, sift flour and baking powder.
- With an electric mixer, cream sugar and butter, add the eggs one by one and beat until smooth.
- Add some flour, add some milk, and beat until smooth, repeat this step, then add vanilla extract.
- Pour mix into the prepared cake pan. Cook in the oven for 30 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Take the cake out of the oven and let cool for approximately 30 minutes on a rack.
- Using a fork or wooden stick, make holes everywhere on the cake’s surface. Mix together both evaporated and condensed milks with 250mL of cream. Pour this mix on the cake and refrigerate for at least an hour to let the cake soak.
- To serve, whip the rest of the cream with the icing sugar. Garnish the cake with the whipped cream and top with the fresh strawberries. Serve!
It is advised to prepare this cake in advance so it has time to absorb all the sauce.