Inspired by Anna Olsons Empire Cookies. Very light cookie that can also be enjoyed with or without the filling and icing.
Prep Time: 2 hours
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours 10 minutes
Servings : 24
1/2 cup butter, unsalted, room temperature
1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp icing sugar, sifted
1 envelope Dr Oetker vanilla sugar
1 hard-boiled large eggs yolk
1 egg yolk
1 1/4 cups millet flour, sifted (Cuisine Soleil)
1/2 cup tapioca flour, sifted (Cuisine Soleil)
1/2 tsp baking soda, gluten-free
1 tsp guar gum
1 tsp xanthane gum
1/4 teaspoon salt
Brown rice flour
Icing and Assembly
2 to 3 tbsp apricot marmalade
1 cup icing sugar, sifted
1 to 2 tbsp water
1 tsp orange extract
- In a bowl, beat the butter, icing sugar and vanilla sugar until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, push the hard-boiled egg yolk through a sieve and stir in the raw egg yolk.
- Add to butter mixture and stir until well blended. In another bowl, sift together flours, baking soda and guar gum.
- Add xanthane gum and salt.
- Add the flour mixture to butter mixture and stir until blended. It will be sticky a bit.
- Shape dough into a disc, wrap in plastic and chill until firm, about 2 hours.
- Icing and Assembly
- Preheat the oven to 325ºF. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- On a work surface lightly floured with brown rice, gently knead dough until slightly soft.
- Using a little bit of brown rice flour as needed, roll out dough to about ¼-inch thick and cut out cookies using a 2-inch fluted cookie cutter.
- Place cookies on baking sheet, leaving enough space in between each. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until just lightly browned around the bottom edges.
- Let cookies cool completely on wire rack.
- In a small bowl, stir apricot marmalade.
- Spread a little on a cookie bottom and sandwich a second cookie on top, pressing gently to secure. Repeat with remaining cookies.
- In a separate small bowl, mix together icing sugar, water and orange extract until it is a thin icing consistency.
- Spread a thin layer of icing on top of each cookie.
- Store in an airtight container and let dry in refrigerator.