Dont be intimidated by the long ingredient list for this savoury leek tart. Most are spices and powders youll have on hand. The recipe is as simple as making pancakes. In fact, you can make these pancake-sized if youre scared to flip a single, large galette.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Servings : Two 8″ galettes (6 servings)
Difficulty: Moderately easy
Parsley, Lemon and Pine Nut Purée:
2 tbsp pine nuts, optional
½ cup unsweetened almond milk or plain, unsweetened yogurt (Greek works well)
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp sunflower or olive oil
½ tsp salt
1 cup parsley leaves
½ cup cilantro leaves (or substitute more parsley)
3 medium leeks (white and light green parts only weighed once cut to measure about 1 lb)
4 shallots, finely chopped
2 tbsp sunflower or olive oil
1/2 to 1 fresh red chili pepper, seeds and membrane removed, diced, optional
½ cup parsley or cilantro, finely chopped (leaves and fine stalks)
¾ tsp ground coriander seeds
1 tsp ground cumin seeds
¼ tsp turmeric
¼ tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp sugar, optional
½ tsp salt
1 egg white
¾ cup Cuisine Soleil chickpea flour
1 tbsp + 1 tsp baking powder
2/3 cup almond milk or regular milk
4 tbsp melted butter or sunflower oil
Sunflower oil or butter for pan
- Toast pine nuts in a small skillet for 5 minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until golden and aromatic. Add to blender or food processor with sauce ingredients and blend to combine. Scrape down the sides with a spatula while the machine is off if necessary to thoroughly blend herbs.
- Trim the tops and bottoms of the leeks. Chop into 1-inch long by ¼-inch wide slices. Wash thoroughly to remove all dirt. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and steam or boil leeks for 10-12 minutes, until soft. Drain.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a skillet over medium heat and add shallots. Sauté until soft about 8 minutes. Add leeks and stir to coat with oil.
- Transfer to large bowl and add the chili pepper, ½ cup parsley, cumin, coriander, turmeric, cinnamon, sugar and salt.
- Whisk or beat egg white to soft peaks. Whisking gives a slightly more stable white, so theres less chance your white will deflate, but beating is much less work! Fold white into leek mixture.
- In a medium bowl sieve chickpea flour. Add the baking powder, whole egg, 2/3 cup almond milk and 4 tbsp butter or oil. Whisk to combine. Gently stir into leek mixture.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Heat 2 tsp oil in a large oven-safe frying pan or griddle over medium heat (have ready a baking sheet to transfer to oven if using griddle or a frying pan that isnt oven-safe). When hot add half the vegetable mixture and press gently to spread into a circle the same diameter as the pan (or about 8 inches if using a non-circular griddle). Fry for 3 minutes.
- Carefully flip galette and fry 3 minutes on other side.
- ransfer to oven (or to baking sheet and then to oven) and bake 15 minutes, until centre is cooked through. Make second galette with remaining batter in the same way, frying several minutes on each side before transferring to oven.
- Garnish with parsley leaves and serve warm with parsley sauce drizzled over top or on the side. Use pizza cutter or sharp knife to slice into 6 pieces. Serve with green salad.