Oven Baked Falafels
Power packed with protein and fiber from chickpeas, these baked (not fried) wheat-free falafels are an amazing compliment to any meal. They can be put into a wrap, placed on a salad or enjoyed alone dipped in the “Tangy Tahini” sauce for a zesty bite!
A recipe by our partner Marni Wasserman.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
Total time: 50 minutes
Recipe for 12 Falafels
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 tablespoons chickpea, brown rice, or quinoa flour
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon ground chia + 3 tablespoons water (makes 1 egg)
- 1 grated carrot
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1⁄2 cup spelt breadcrumbs (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with parchment.
- Combine the chickpeas, onion, garlic, flour, spices, oil and salt, pulse in a food processor until the mixture is well-combined and smooth.
- Form the mixture into 8-12 small balls or patties with wet hands.
- Roll each ball in breadcrumbs.
- Bake in oven for approximately 30-35 minutes, or until crispy and golden.
- Serve in a pita wrap with hummus, tahini sauce or on top of a salad.
Can be kept for up to 4 days in the fridge or 2 months in the freezer.